08 March 2011

February Projects

When Brad and I moved into our new house I came up with a list of several projects that I wanted to do. I am slowly getting to them and even getting some of them done. The truth is I love having projects to work on that make our home a little nicer and a little more "homey", especially when it doesn't require much money, or much talent for that matter. So, here are a couple of things I have been working on, besides growing a baby.

So one of the things I wanted to do was repaint our table. It has been a dark green color since we have had it. It is a nice green, but it doesn't match anything, and I have often wished it were a different color. After lot's of time spent on the floor (I covered the red rug below with a big sheet of plastic), a lot of sanding while wearing a mask, a lot of clean up and a can of black paint, I have finally finished repainting the 4 chairs and table.

I have learned a few things throughout this project. First, that wearing a mask, so that you don't inhale dust from sanding and fumes from paint, is a good idea; however, those masks do not smell good and they make your face itch. Fortunately, as you can see from above, you look very glamorous while wearing one! I also learned that the farther along in the pregnancy I get the harder it gets to crawl around on the floor and the tighter my "painting" clothes got. Third, completing this kind of project is very rewarding. My only wish now is that our table was bigger, as this one is very small and won't last us too much longer as a dining room table. Oh well, we can enjoy it while we have it.


 The other thing I have been working on, well just started really is making some crib bedding for our May arrival. Brad and I went to the fabric store together (yes he was thrilled) and picked out a pattern that we both liked. Thus far all I have made is this blanket, but you can get an idea of what the remaining items will look like. We choose this bright and happy animal print, because let's face it, I love animals, always have and always will. The back side, is a light green, and is made of that ultra soft fabric that you can get now (sorry I don't know what it is called).

The other things I have been doing are continuing to teach communications at UVU, cooking and posting on my cooking blog (Two Little Chefs), doing a bit of architectual drafting for my Dad, reading whenever I get a chance, and of course growing a baby.
All in all, life is great! Hope you are doing well too.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

nice work! the animal print is cute. want to do one for me next? :) . . . i think the soft material you are talking about is minky. i really need to finish some of my projects. . .

Kelly said...

I love how the table turned out! Such great things you're doing to keep yourself busy :)

Rachel said...

Great projects! I love the cute animal print.

Caroline said...

Rachel, you might notice that I still haven't refinished those blud chairs. I may need a refresher on the "how to" tips you gave me a few weeks ago.

Lanenga Family said...

Welcome back! :) The table looks great, way to go!