13 May 2009

Playing with Colors

So last week I photographed a really nice family at the old BYU Academy (pictured above), otherwise known as the Provo library. I was a little unsure about taking photographs there, especially since we took them at about 1:30pm, which is generally about the worst time of day to take pictures (the high sun equals dark shadows and squinty eyes). However, I was able to utilize the old brick on the building, afternoon shade cast by the builidng, and a little Photoshop to get some nice pictures.

Another thing I have been doing is trying to learn more about selective coloring, saturation, and such in Photoshop. So I took this picture of these two cuties and worked to make their blue eyes pop at you a little more. I also brightened up that red dress to create a contrast with their blue eyes (as orange and blue are complimentary colors, in case you have forgotten ;)). I am not sure if you can tell from this picture (because I shrunk it for the blog, however if you click on the picture it will show you a bigger image) but I was pleased with the results. I also added a bit of vignetting, which is something that happens with some camera lenses when they are all the way opened up, which actually is something you don't want to happen (ask Brad about the technicalities of that), but can be duplicated with the power of the computer. It creates the darkened corners forcing your eye to forcus of the center of the picture (see I learned something in art school...well maybe).

Finally another bonus of digital photography and computers. In this photograph there is a window, can you find it? Hopefully not, as I did a little cover up work. Behind the boy on the right I added a brick wall where there is actually a window. Anyways, that is just a little something I have been up to.

4 comments:

Christopher P said...

Those pics are amazing Caroline! You guys should start a business or something:)

Caroline said...

Very funny Chris! I've been paying all sorts of fees for years now to run that business...and loved every minue of it!

Kelly said...

I love seeing pictures you've taken!

Caitlin said...

nice! I love the photos, and wish I knew more about the tech stuff, myself. :)