24 September 2008

"Maria, is that you?"


As some of you may know the neighbors that live just south of us have (or had) a chicken living in there back yard in a wee' little coupe, we'll call the chicken Maria. Recently the landlord of the house moved the coupe to the backyard of the abandoned house next to us (in preparation to do some work back there). Well, our dear neighbor a few houses west of us, we will call him Mr. J pays close attention to the abandoned houses on our street (a whole other story). Mr. and Mrs. J mind these houses like their own little children- watering the lawn, the house, the gutters, mowing the lawns, cutting limbs, etc etc... (side note 'a': there is no trespassing on these properties under the careful watch of Mr. and Mrs. J).

Anyways yesterday I came home from getting my haircut (again) there was a policeofficer at the house next door, along with Mr. J and the chicken, Maria, in a net. Poor little Maria was being assisted into a cage in the back of the truck. So as I got out of my car I thought, should I go tell them who the chicken belongs to or mind my own business. I choose the second as I didn't want to risk having our electricity turned off again or anything (see post below: the sting) by a suspected Mr. J (side note 'b': I suspect Mr. J phoned the police to let them know there was a trespasser on the property; see 'side note a').

So I am left to wonder, what will happen to Maria? Where do confiscated chickens that have been trespassing on abandoned property under the care of Mr. and Mrs. J go? I hope that tonight, before you cook that chicken breast to a nice golden color, you will lean down and say, "Maria, is that you?"

4 comments:

Brad said...

Mmm, maybe I should be an animal 'cop' in my spare time, you know just to help out. I know the fruit police at the border to Canada and California are just in it for a free lunch. :)

Kelly said...

That's hilarious Caroline. I will wonder from now on since we are out of chicken and will be purchasing more!

In response to Brad's comment. I still remember the time the border patrol guy made us give up our apples. Very sad.

ixoj said...

Povera Maria!

What if I only reply to your posts in Italian, in preparation for your Italy adventure. I think I will.

Caroline said...

ixoj, I think that would be great if you only posted in Italian. What would be even better is if we could start talking in Italin. Although I am just beginning, so I don't know much yet.
CC