12 September 2008

Swimming in Statistics


This was my week. Lot's of statistics and statistically reporting. I took the week off of work and just worked on my thesis. It has been good, but trying to figure out what you are supposed to report in terms of statistics...yikes! I know how to read the output files and I can basically tell what my findings are, but knowing when to report the mean, the degrees of freedom, significance, t scores, etc. etc (example: (X2=5.069, df=2, n=123, p>.05). Please! According to Brad the reason we have to report all these lovely numbers is (and I quote), "It is a really fancy way that scholars have of saying I can't argue this with enough logic to convince other scholars so I will use a lot of math and confusing numbers to make it look like this is fact, when it is still theory"

The good news is...I am so, so, so close to being done with writing my thesis. I imagine that I will have some changes to make from my professors, but the gray cloud of thesis death is beginning to move away from me. I think that one or two more days of writing, and I will have a draft!
this is my brain................
..........this is my brain after a week of statistics!




2 comments:

Brad said...

Caroline has been working her little butt off this week and making great progress. I am so proud of her and a little jealous that she is so close to being done. Ahhh to get my little rain cloud to go away.

Kelly said...

We're so proud of you - we know how hard you've been working! We definitely need to have a party when you're done.